Hackney Downs Park

It's only taken me five and a half years to contemplate birding at Hackney Downs Park.  It's just next to where I live and visit it often, primarily for more physical recreation such as Tennis and Running.  It's quintessentially a municipal park, well maintained, and a nice place to be.

Birding though?  Well this morning I was overwhelmed by a rare Archimedean (?) moment and decided to head to the park and check the skies for any signs of migratory passage.  There has indeed been plenty of activity over the last week or so of the Hawfinch and Woodpigeon variety.

So I stood along the Cricket pitch and eyed the skies, and, it was really good!  When a couple of Meadow Pipit flew through, I began cursing why I hadn't done this a lot sooner.  Three returning Common Gull were loafing around on the dewy grass.

There were small groups of Redwing and Fieldfare, Chaffinch, Starling, pulsing through with half a dozen Pied Wagtail, a couple of Greenfinch and a prying Sparrowhawk.  A flock of Woodpigeon flew through, a continuation of the mass southerly migration for this species.

A decent group of titmice were also present along Downs Park Road, accompanied by a couple of vocal Goldcrest.

There was plenty to peak my interest.  I'm going to do this again tomorrow.






Comments