Holliwell Point - Red-breasted Goose

A little annoying having forgotten to insert my SD Card into my camera as on arrival at Holliwell Point in Essex along the Dengie coastline, the red-breasted goose was strutting its stuff in amongst a mighty flock of dark-bellied brents in fields adjacent to the sea wall.

Not really knowing how to access the site, I decided to park in Burnham-on-Crouch and then jump in a taxi to the nearest point which happened to be a set of gates leading into a private road.  It was slightly beyond this point that I jumped out and began a 40 minute walk along a firm concrete track through vast areas of arable farmland.  It was a lovely day, cold, but with a high cloud base and light winds, it felt rather pleasant especially with good numbers of singing corn bunting beside the track.

The large group of brant could be seen at a distant but it didn't take long to pin down the RBG and what a splendid beast it was too, providing great views which made my aberration even more frustrating.

(However - having met David Pallash on site - he lent me his camera allowing me to take a couple of distant shots for which I'm very grateful).



A couple of snow bunting included a fine dapper adult male were flighty along the sea wall.  There was very little offshore apart from a black-throated diver that provided more quality in what was a bleak but great place for birding.

Comments