Scillies 2023 - Day 9

So today was hometime - and what a few days it had been seeing some great birds with a few enjoyable socials which make Scillies in October a fabulous experience. But it was not over. I'd decided to head out at first light from Longstones and make my way down toward Old Town. Within the first half hour of light, the pallid harrier had been seen again flying over the Garrison and through Lower Moors. Weighed down with my camera and bins, I stuck on the afterburners (an awkward jog) and made my way down the Old Town Road. By the time I'd arrived, the bird had disappeared (apparently over Rosehill) once again and an agonising wait by the ISBG hide proved fruitless so I headed off for a search that might bring me something interesting.

Smashing through the Standing Stones field, I checked my messages. The pallid harrier was at Shooters Pool. Legging it through the Moors, the organised scrum meant a short agonising wait before I established my position to the right of the screen with enough of a gap to see the bird partially obstructed by vegetation, preening within the thicket. An incredible sight to see it perched up barely a metre and a half from the ground. It was observed for around ten minutes before the harrier burst out of the vegetation, and a brief look at this glorious bird as it moved swiftly off toward Old Town and out to sea. It was not seen again. For me, another epic Scilly moment. 


The remaining time was spent wandering around, a presumed siberian chiffchaff, and a reed warbler both in the Standing Stones field was the culmination of a brilliant week.

A red-throated diver and puffin from the Scillonian added two more to the final tally of 102 species for the trip.

I'll miss this - a whole year before we do it again - but these really are special times in a really special place.




Comments