Ham Wall RSPB - River warbler

It took a mega to get me down to the magnificent Ham Wall RSPB reserve.  Let's start off with the river warbler - my goodness what a bird.  I'd seen a few of these in Poland but not like this.  Sitting up on the reeds in view of the assembled mass of birders (and twitchers) was wholly uncharacteristic to what I've experienced in the past.  Photos just don't do it justice, the jangle of sounds this species is able to emit is quite astounding and at volume - it could be heard from hundreds of metres away.  I was blown away.







It was also nice to get away and explore a bit of the reserve - away from the crowds - it's about nature and not people.








A wander round produced some great local birds - displaying marsh harrier, two cuckoo, two flyby bittern, great egret, and warblers everywhere.  Wouldn't mind all this on my doorstep.

Comments