Scillies - Day Four - Red-eyed Vireo

The days are flashing by and we're into the fourth day already.  It was a bright morning.  I had planned to catch the 9am ferry to Agnes for the Blue-winged Teal but massively overslept.

What a result that was.  The teal had relocated to Porth Hellick.

I started my morning walk along the Penninis Head coastal path.  There was very little going on but the views as always were stunning in the bright morning light.  I made my way round pausing for a while to view the rocks in the hope that the Blue Rock Thrush might make an appearance.


Giving up after 20 minutes, I made my way down toward the woodland track that runs along to the cemetary.  A bird burst out of the Laurel and disappeared back in.  It seemed to be grey in appearance so I stepped back to have a look.  The bird popped out - I was astonished to be gazing at a RED-EYED VIREO.

It showed ridiculously well - pausing out in the open allowing the increasing crowd to enjoy this American passerine.





It was an interesting day.  The juvenile Red-backed Shrike had made its way down the slope and close enough to be viewed from the track.  The Spotted Flycatcher continued in the old town churchyard.

There was precious little en route to Porth Hellick where the two Pink-footed Goose were particularly flighty making a few passes through.  Swallow and House Martin were present feeding over the adjacent marshes.


I had a quick look at the Blue-winged Teal but found it totally uninspiring and headed away.

A distant Dotterel was seen on the airfield.







Comments