Oare Marshes & Cliffe Pools

Another trip to Oare Marshes for the start of wader season.  Well, the marshes always has waders but you know what I mean.  It also has a regular returning Bonaparte's Gull that finds the Oare Marshes a pleasant place to spent a few weeks in the summer arriving from goodness knows where before finally heading off to goodness knows where.  Wouldn't it be nice to know though.  'Napoleon' was starting to transition into winter plumage, but only just.


On site today were six Ruff, the first Golden Plover with seven, and eight vocal Whimbrel seen departing to the west.

Around 500+ Black-tailed Godwit and 100+ Avocet were regular fixtures on East Flood as were my first two Common Snipe of the autumn.  A smart adult and three Curlew Sandpiper were there as well as a winter plumage Spotted Redshank, two of my favourite waders.


I then headed over to Cliffe Pools.  By this time, the sky had filled in and the clouds looked very menacing.  I took off though and started to make my way round the reserve.  The rain started to fall.  It didn't stop as I connected with the Marsh Sandpiper, my third for the UK, as it fed close to the shoreline but a little obscured by the scrub.  Also there were two Spoonbill and a Greenshank.


The rain kept falling as I headed round for the Black-winged Stilt, but I failed to notice the even darkening skies.  It was warm, humid, and storms were a feature in the south of the UK.

I was alone, out in the open when the first clap of the thunder was heard somewhere in the near distance.  And then the rain strengthened and I was stranded and a little panicked.  I was probably the highest point in my immediate vicinity clinging onto a metal tripod.  This was a tricky situation and not altogether sensible and well thought through.  I legged it, before finding a large bush where I hunkered down, taking refuge from the bombardment of summer rain that threw down upon the Kent countryside.

Yes Black-winged Stilt, adults and juveniles.  Breeding success.  Bloomin' marvellous really.  Wish I could have appreciated this a little more as I cast a soaked and feral soul drudging mournfully back to the car.

Comments