More Migrants

Another fine warm day, but a little bit hazier than yesterday.  Smog maybe?  Headed over to the Filter Beds first which was predictably quiet with a few Teal in the channel and singing Chiffchaff.

A cycle round to the Pitch and Putt where there were around 45 Teal feeding on the rapids viewed from the black railings.

I headed to the Waterworks where a Little Egret was probing around Bed 16, with four Teal present there. A drake Shoveler was roosting on the west pond.

At least two Cetti's Warbler were calling from around the reserve, with a singing Blackcap there too.  Two Grey Wagtail flew around the hides.  Then at last, my first Swallow of the year flew low over before heading speedily toward the south.  A single Sand Martin also shot through with haste.


A tip-off had me cycling up to the Marshes where a singing Willow Warbler was seen at close range in Horseshoe thicket before being rudely chased off by a Robin.

I decided to head back to the Waterworks again and was glad I did.  A Common Buzzard thermalled high to the north, and another Swallow flew over heading west.  I sat on the benches by the entrance for a while.  Unsure of whether I'd heard a familiar 'song' I walked onto the entrance bridge only to hear the zipping, tumultuous vocals of a Sedge Warbler deep in the thickets.  I never saw it, but it was present for at least 20 minutes before moving on.

Butterflies seen today were Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Small White, Peacock, and Speckled Wood.

Comments