Broom East GPs

It has been an interesting week of sightings with after my third attempt this year, I finally caught up with the Great Grey Shrike in fields opposite Brogborough Lake (1st Feb).  It really is an elusive individual with a tendency to go missing for long periods.  At least this time it sat up on a bramble for a couple of minutes before disappearing once again.

A trip to Broom GPs on the 2nd proved fruitful with my first Raven for the site.  Two birds flew in and rested in the field on the opposite side of the pit.  Typically I forgot my camera and phone.  Also recorded was my highest count of Shoveler with 14 present on GLE.

During a week of surveying round a number of Essex' finest arable fields, I did manage to pick up a Grey Partridge and a sparkling adult Mediterranean Gull among a large mixed Gull flock.

______

So onto today and a late afternoon visit to Broom with the evening drawing in and the chill of the air starting to nibble away as I looked upon a pleasant scene in clear still conditions.

For the second visit running, I picked up another new bird for my site list in the form of a drake Pintail that was actively dabbling away in front of the watchpoint.  Shoveler numbers had increased markedly totaling 31.  Around 150 Lapwing rested on the pools and islands with the majority flying off later.  There were 45 Common Gull congregated with the Black-headed Gull in the pre-roost.


Comments